The Chiang Mai City Arts and Culture Centre is located in an old building of elegant architectural design built in 1927.Standing on the location of a former royal hall, the building was used as the central administrative office of the Monthol Phayap administrative unit of Siam, and later as the Provincial Hall of Chiang Mai.
The site is on the former “naval of the city”, which was the original location of the Inthakhin city pillar before it was moved to Wat Chedi Luang. The site was an inheritance from Chao Kawilorot Suriyawong to Chao Thep Kraison, his daughter. She married Chao Intha-wichayanon, the seventh ruler of Chiang Mai.
The site was used for a royal hall from where the ruler administered Chiang Mai. When Inthawichayanon passed away it went into the possession of his daughter, Chao Dararatsmi, who granted the site to be used for a ‘government hall’ when the monthon was established. When the old building remained empty. At the end of 1997, the municipality requested permission to renovate the building in order to turn it into the Chiang Mai City Arts and Culture Centre. The renovation received an award in 1999 for preservation of a public building from the Royal Society of Siamese Architects (Society of Siamese Architects under Royal Patronage).